|9 goals to achieve by 9/9/2012
||[Sep. 10th, 2011|09:14 pm]
9 things I am committed to accomplish by 9/9/2012, and how I'm going to do it:
1. Make a significant improvement in my ability as a Ruby on Rails Developer. I'm actually going to work through my entire pile of nearly a dozen unread RoR books.
2. Instead of just doing non-competitive track days, I'm going to actually race (hill climb/time trial) my car. I don't expect myself to win, but I will not finish last. I've already signed up for one race, and am looking for one more to enter next year.
3. Get in shape, with a goal weight of 14 stone (196 pounds). I'm currently just under 17 stone. I've already cut my daily calorie intake (target is < 3000 calories per day, I think I've been taking in closer to 4000), and am going to try P90X. When I had my 350Z corner balanced last month, I had them set the simulated driver weight to 200 pounds. Having a car that is better balanced is a huge motivator! The 3 stone weight difference should also help shave off a fraction of a second per lap.
4. Get back into photography. Buying new gear tends to inspire me, and the Sony NEX-7 seems like the perfect camera to keep with me at all times. I'm putting money into a specific account, and will buy the NEX-7 (or another comparable camera), once I have the cash (won't charge it).
5. Buy a piano or keyboard, and expand my ability as a musician. I haven't done much musically since about '92. I really want to get back to where I could pick up my guitar, get into the zone, and play for hours. By this time next year, I want to be back to where I can jam with other musicians, and be able to play something worth listening to. I've started putting money into another account, dedicated to my music budget.
6. Hire a maid. I can't do anything about this at the moment, as it doesn't fit into the budget. So this is dependent on the next 3 goals.
7. Be debt free, with the exception of a mortgage. This will require about $1750/month in payments. I only have $750/month available in my budget, and I don't want to cut anything out. So, I need to make more money.
8. Start/restart a side business that makes at least $10,000/year. The first step I'm going to take is more or less marketing related - by 9/9/2012 I will go over all of my sites, and either shut them down, or make them not suck. I will attempt to make money from at least one of them. I'm also going to start a blog, that isn't my livejournal. I may look for some contract work doing RoR - the ideal client will need 5-10 hours of work done per month.
9. Get a decent raise when my annual review comes up in February. Next week, I'm going to talk to my manager and make sure that I am on track, and see if I need to make any adjustments to my work habits in order to increase my salary.